Raise your hand if you drooled over the new Pottery Barn catalog. My copy is stained, earmarked, and wrinkled from so much obsessive gawking. I can’t get enough of the new trend towards indigo. I also can’t get enough of these two bedrooms (here & here) from Pottery Barn. I usually sway towards the warm side of the color wheel, but this blue has me wrapped around its finger.
I love the paisley duvet cover and pillow shams in picture #2, but at $129 for the duvet cover, and $35-$45 per sham, it is not in my budget. So, I stared and stared that page down, and dissected the picture until I figured out how I would get the same look, for less.
I started by using some of my leftover painters cloth from the bench to make a pillow cover. I originally wanted to make a duvet cover with two painters cloths, but CDB told me he is not sleeping under painting supplies. I was going to stencil on the paisley design, but when I went to go pick up the paint at JoAnn’s, I found this!
Martha Stewart has these silkscreens for screen-printing! Sounds intimidating, but with just a few practice shots, I was a pro. You will need the following supplies:
- Something to Protect your Surface (Newspaper, Painters Cloth, Old Towel)
- Craft Paint
- Fabric to Paint
Also, these silkscreens have adhesive on the back so they stick over and over again. First I measured out where I wanted my design to be painted, and marked it with an x.
Then, I squeezed out a thick line of paint at the very top of the silkscreen. Be careful not to get it on your fabric! Next, using the squeegee, drag the paint down the silkscreen in one fluid motion. I learned that going one way, top to bottom, is the best way to do this. If you go side to side, you lose some of the detail in the design.
Peel up your silkscreen carefully, and wash it off before painting your next design.
I love how it turned out, and it looks great! You could easily have that duvet cover for under $30! Although my husband does not appreciate painting supplies as bed linens, I still have my little piece of that fab catalog!
I made a simple envelope cover, and slipped one of my old brown pillows into it. I found this stripped linen in the remnants bin at JoAnn’s (after Christmas sale 75% off…HOLLA!), and I stitched up two covers for my other two toss pillows. My duvet cover and cream blanket come from Target, and my stripped shams came from Wal-Mart.
I also built a desk for our bedroom this weekend. If you would like the plans, you can find them here. I modified mine to 4′ to fit in between the corner and the window.
I can’t give too much away, because I am not even close with being done with this room. But here are some more pictures of those awesome DIY pillows!