First things first, let’s get this camper clean. It has been raining non-stop here in Kansas this summer. While the rain was most welcome, it creates a mustiness in the tent camper world. I searched around for some oil to put in my battery operated air diffuser, and I cut through the staleness. I unzipped all the windows and let some fresh air in too. I wiped down the countertops and vaccumed all the sand from the floor. I then swept, and knocked down about 26 wasp nests.
Let me just say, that you are lucky I remembered to snap some before pics. I couldn’t wait to cover those faux wood grain cabinets. To make the spaces feel separate, I used a classic red paint on the kitchen cabinets only. I have plans for the other parts of the camper covered in faux wood grain.
This is two coats up. I ran into a bit of a dilemma, I can’t remove the hardware. These cabinets, because they come down while the camper is not in use, are metal and the hardware is riveted in! I brushed them with the same paint hoping that will help them blend in, but the paint did not cover them well.
Although, the paint is covering the cabinet doors quite nicely. I need to go shopping for some cabinet pulls. I’m thinking a sleek modern brushed nickle would look vintage. I like the shininess of this paint because it reminds me of the 60’s metal cabinets you would find in homes.
Which one do you like? Right now, #3 pull is saying my name. Tell me what you think. Which one do you think would look best on my new red sleek camper cabinets?
Here is the almost finished product. The drawers are in now, but when I took this shot they were drying. You will get to see them in, I’m sure in future posts. One thing that I had to maneuver, and I had to be really creative about it, was the arms on the side of the cabinets. I had to hold the handle and balance the cabinets with one hand, while painting with the other.
I also covered the faces of the bunks. The faux wood vernier was peeling away and was looking really bad. I threw around a few options like paint, wainscoting, or new 1/4″ plywood. I settled with paintable wallpaper that I found on clearance at Wal-Mart!
I’m so glad I went with this option because it was really easy and I didn’t have to remove any hardware. I just cut, dunked it in my water bucket, and slapped it on the wall. There are a few imperfections, but it’s a camper so not everything is square. I plan on painting it anyway, and that will blend in any of the gaps.
At this point it is still drying, so that’s why it looks gray. I’m very happy with how it is turning out. I plan to paint the trim to match. I’m playing around with some color options, but because I will have so much color in the fabrics and the cabinets, I’ll probably just keep it white.
Tomorrow I’ll be sitting in the air conditioning making drapes! Today it got pretty muggy by 1 p.m., so I’m looking forward to that. It’s August again in Kansas. Mary also received her new drapes that will replace the failures we tried last week. Keep posted for an update on that!
Remember to follow my progress on #thecamperproject on the blog and instagram all week and next!